Friday, April 2, 2010

Large Magnetic Board

 

 My kids have had spring break this week, so projects have been kept to a minimum.  It has been pouring and even snowing at times, a bad week for spring break!  We did manage to get out and have a little fun.

  On the really rainy days, the kids played on the Wii and I started sorting my scary piles of junk, which led me to organizing the desk area ~ and making an excuse ~ to make something for it. :)

This project is fairly easy, thanks to Home Depot!  I had all my major cuts done there
 and
 reused the metal from the old magnetic board. After that- it's painting and gluing only!


Believe me, this space NEVER looks this clean...only for pictures.  I showed Nicole and she was shocked.  I don't think she's ever seen it that clean!  The magnetic board is rarely visible with the usual tall towers of papers in front of it!

 
**BEFORE**

This is the old magnetic board.  A little outdated.  I wanted a larger, neutral board. 

 We made a similar magnetic board months ago
and I thought I could enlarge it to fit my space.  

I hung magnetic bulldog clips on nails, so I can use them on the side or on the actual magnetic board. I stuck extra magnets on the clips.  I think it kind of looks like a knob.

 
I painted the outside board with chalkboard paint.  Maybe now I will remember all of those appointments!   In the last month, we missed three dentist and one doctor appointment!  I write it down and forget where I put it! 


 Here's how I made it.  If you want to see how we made the smaller version, go here!


I used a thin sheet of MDF on the back, beadboard for the middle and topped it with the metal sheet.


I used E-6000 glue.  Do you have any recommendations of GLUE, for metal to wood?



After I finished the board, it looked so plain,  So, I made some magnets.


 I attatched a magnet on the back.  These were fun! Her site is full of so many great projects!


 
That's it!  I think it looks much better! 
Now, if I can only keep it looking like this! :)

All Thingz Related




Funky Junk's Saturday Nite Special
Join us Saturdays at tatertotsandjello.com for the weekend wrap up party!

13 comments:

gail@myrepurposedlife.net said...

candace, I love it! I love the layered look, and that you put the chalkboard paint on the outside! Great job! I hope it helps keep you more organized.
Happy Easter to you and your family! (Nicole and her family also!)
gail

Ali@Honey and Maple Syrup said...

I love it!

Craftify It! said...

I REALLY LOVE this triple layered board! I have some beadboard in the garage & I think you have inspired me to make a message board of some sort! And I love the butterfly magnets, so cute.

Kendra Joyner said...

Very cool!

{All Thingz Related} said...

I gasped when I saw this....LOVE it!
~Bridgette

Paddywack Designs said...

I'm in love! It looks very cool.

autumn said...

love the butterflies! adds just the right touch of whimsy.
glad you had a great easter! we should have come up to see you...maybe in a few weeks.
:)

Sweet Bee Cottage said...

Great project! Love how it looks. The clips were a fantastic idea.

Sandra said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sandra said...

Visiting from Anything Related. Cute, adorable, useful, inspiring. TFS

Funky Junk Interiors said...

Ohhh I love this! The layers are fabulous!

I can't wait to have more time to drift through blogland again....

Donna

jenjen said...

That is seriously cute! I love the magnets you made too and the chalkboard paint. Awesome project!

Thanks for sharing it with us!

XOXO
Jen

{All Thingz Related} said...

We've "tagged" your Magnetic Board as one of Our Favorite Thingz! Head on over to check it out!
http://allthingzrelated.blogspot.com/2010/04/our-favorite-thingz-2nd-anything.html
~Rebekah

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...