Several months ago I had the luck of picking up some used model home furnishings that were being sold.
I think I paid 10 or 15 dollars for both of the ottomans. That's a deal!
They are practically brand new and it was NOT a terrible experience tearing off the old fabric and finding tons of cooties. :) I have some scary stories!
Here's a view of underneath.
Look how they finished it off with hard backing and simple square feet.
These guys are serious...heavy duty....burlapy tough ottomans. Probably would be great in a cabin or with some western decor.
I wanted to feminize them a bit....:)
The screws were stripped so I had to pry...then hammer them off. I busted almost all of the legs, and did some damage to the frame. Oops!
I love taking things apart.....it always intrigues me how something was built. Looking at this picture...I think these might be simple to build. 2x2's and hardboard would build the frame. I think I see some ottomans in Nicole's future... :)
The foam was in good condition.
What do you think...easy to build?
It looks like they used spray adhesive to attach thin foam on all four sides.
With all of my previous projects, I usually pick apart the upholstery and make a paper pattern or pin right to the new fabric and cut. I didn't like the look of the new fabric with the old look...it was a little sloppy.
So, I pinned and fitted it like you would a slip cover, then pulled it off to sew.
The corners are always a pain in my side....I would like to take an upholstery class just to learn how to ease corners! The crinkles always sneak in- darn it!
I sewed all the sides together, had to unpick a few times and finally got the look I was going for.
Since I ruined all the feet taking it apart,
I chopped up a pine board and spray painted the new feet brown.
I usually prefer staples, but noticed the original upholsterers used small tack nails. I had some cut tacks in my tool box and thought I would give it a try.
They were great! Power staplers are still easier but this was fun to try something different. Nails were used to put the hardboard back on and they worked like a charm .
I put the feet back on using long screws and they sat super straight because of the hardboard on the bottom.
From past experience the feet were always crooked because of the layers of fabric and stapling.
Smart idea to use hardboard!
Here they are!
Let's take a peek again at the before.....
I couldn't catch a good picture of the fabric inside- it's kind of a gloomy day.
I found the fabric at Hobby Lobby and used a 40% off coupon. Finding fabric I really liked was difficult, this choice came close to having all the colors I wanted. It took a little over two yards and I think I have enough left over to make a few pillows.
Here's a clearer picture outside, I love the combination of the colors in the fabric.
There's a mix of cream, brown, green and bits of turquoise.
And... here are two feet and two great reasons
why I'm heading out to purchase one large can of Scotch Guard! :)
Sharing with these great parties~